Learn to grapple productively with themes of self, society, and culture in your glasswork—with artist Silvia Levenson as your guide. During this workshop, Silvia will share her approach to art, along with empowering perspectives and creative methods she has developed over the course of her dynamic artistic career. You’ll learn how to take your own creative voice more seriously, how your emotions and experiences can become potent sources of inspiration, and how to manifest those intuitions and ideas through glass objects and installations.
This live, online workshop includes:
- Long-term access to Creative Process with Silvia Levenson, a 50 minute video
- Pre-session assignments
- One 6-hour virtual live class
- One 3-hour virtual live follow-up, both on Zoom.
Class content: Silvia will not be teaching glass techniques. This workshop provides strategies for helping you think about why to use glass and how the material can serve (and stir) your creative processes.
Video content: The video portion of this class includes English subtitles while Silvia speaks in Spanish. During both live online class sessions, Silvia will be speaking in English.
The class will happen over two sessions:
- Session 1 is the Video Watch Party! You will go through the entire video with Silvia, stopping after each chapter for discussion and in some cases, to do exercises related to that chapter. You will be able to type questions into the live chat window and the Teaching Assistant will work with Silvia to address your questions in real time and go into more detail about the Creative Process.
- Session 2 is Project Sharing! During Session 2 you will review photos and notes of Creative Process projects that you and fellow students have shared.
To get started after your purchase of the class, go to Account > My Available Downloads where you'll be able to download the class pdf. It contains the instructions you'll need to access the video and class handouts.
We believe this entire package is an exceptional way to learn! It’s an opportunity to receive direct access to an artist known both for highly original and diverse work. So get ready to engage creatively and critically with Silvia Levenson, to inspire and be inspired, and to unleash creative dimensions you didn't know were in you.
Materials and Tools
During the live online sessions: writing materials such as paper and pen. Outside of the live online sessions: any art materials besides glass that you might use to make models such as paper, sheets of acetate, cardboard, string, glue, and tape.
- We will be using Zoom for the live class sessions. For optimal streaming, Zoom recommends using their desktop program or mobile app. (Only use their web service if you cannot access the other options.) In addition, we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer with all of the following: high-speed internet, a web cam, a microphone, and speakers. A tablet may suffice. Phones, however, should be avoided. Smartphone screens will be too small, and a landline phone will not allow for any interactivity.
- For additional help navigating Zoom, watch our Zoom orientation video.
- Prerequisites: None! This class will benefit makers and artists of every level.
The Class PDF: At least a week before the class, log into the classes website and go to Account > My Available Downloads where you'll be able to download the class pdf. It contains the pre-session assignment instructions and links you'll need for accessing class.