Today’s glass fusers live in a golden age of kilnforming education. Facebook, ebooks, classes, and conferences provide more information about how to successfully fuse glass than ever before.
The business side of making is a mystery to many who work in fused glass. Knowledge of how to apply for shows, work with galleries, and submit for commissions is not so readily available. There is a big difference between making fused glass as a hobby and making it for profit, they are not mutually exclusive. But it is possible, and rewarding, to make money from your art.
Richard Parrish has been successfully selling glass through galleries, shows, and commissions for over 20 years. In this class he will demystify the business of art glass and provide the information you need to decide if a fused glass business makes sense for you. He will show you how to optimize the ways that you work and find the right sales opportunities to maximize your success.
Material covered includes:
- Deciding if making glass to sell is right for you.
- Where do you fit in the marketplace?
- Where do you want to be in the marketplace?
- Assessing markets, from local art fairs to high-end galleries to online platforms.
- Price point, what sells, who buys.
- Setting up a business, plus legal and practical concerns.
- Pricing, managing costs, and making a profit (after all, it is a business).
- Wholesale and retail sales.
- Getting into and working with galleries.
- Applying for and participating in art fairs and shows.
- Finding and competing for commissions.
- Designing your work your market - aesthetic and production considerations.
- Best studio practices when making glass to sell.
This class will utilize exercises and worksheets to assist each student in making decisions about their business. As part of the class, students will design a fused glass product line, making prototypes and considering decisions that they have made about the business that they want to build.
- Additional Information
SKU CLB335-0001 Title The Fused Glass Enterprise, with Richard Parrish Topic No Location Bay Area Instructor Richard Parrish