Discover methods you can use to re-create natural objects with intricate detail in kilnformed glass. In this class, you’ll learn how to produce three of the many natural forms that comprise artist Evelyn Gottschall Baker's catalog of work (in this case, a branch, a vertebra, and a red pepper). Not only will these methods equip you to express your glass through arresting realism, they can also be used to create novel abstract objects. It’s time to shed studio constraints you didn’t even know were there. It's time to start exploring the wilds of glass!
This live, online workshop includes:
- Long-term access to a long-format, comprehensive instructional video
- A Class Guide packed with a wealth of helpful information
- Two 4-hour live online class sessions, on Zoom
- One 3-hour live online follow-up session, on Zoom.
The class will happen over three sessions:
- Sessions 1 and 2 are the Video Watch Party! You will go through the entire class video with Evelyn, stopping regularly for clarifying review. You will be able to type questions into the live chat window and the Teaching Assistant will work with Evelyn to address your questions in real time.
- Session 3 is Project Sharing! During Session 3, Evelyn will lead discussion and review of class projects that began implementing lessons from sessions 1 and 2.
We believe this entire package is an exceptional way to learn! It’s an opportunity to receive direct access to an artist known for her distinctive, innovative work.
Materials and ToolsFound objects, silicone or Smooth-On mold-making materials, glass powders, enamels. For a detailed preview, check out the class Materials & Supplies List.
- We will be using Zoom for the live class sessions. For optimal streaming, Zoom recommends using their desktop program or mobile app. (Only use their web service if you cannot access the other options.) In addition, we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer with all the following: high-speed internet, a webcam, a microphone, and speakers. A tablet may suffice. Phones, however, should be avoided. Smartphone screens will be too small, and a landline phone will not allow for any interactivity.
- For additional help navigating Zoom, watch our Zoom orientation video.
- Prerequisites: None! This class will benefit makers and artists of every level.
To get started after your purchase of the class, go to Account > My Available Downloads where you'll be able to download the class pdf. It contains the instructions you'll need to access the video and class handouts.
Learn more about Evelyn Gottschall Baker
Online / Evelyn Gottschall Baker / September 8, 12-4pm, September 9, 9am-1pm, and September 30, 9am-12pm (ONL330-0006) / $395