Build a body of work inspired by aspects of nature that combine the delicate, transient, and resilient. Artist Amanda Simmons will lead the way in this month-long, multi-session investigation that will help you create several different vessels with unique patterns and surprising depth.
The class will focus on Simmons’ layered powder techniques and mark making inspired by birds, flowers, and forms found in nature. Using only Bullseye glass powders and clear Tekta, students will learn to create richly patterned and boldly colored vessels. As you practice the techniques through numerous dynamic projects, class interactions will develop your voice through identification of your own personal sources of inspiration. Along with anyone interested in fostering a distinct artistic voice, this class will provide special value to those interested in working with light, delicate glass vessels. You will develop technical skill in working with powder, achieving dramatic slumps, and coldworking thin work with confidence. Not only will you come away with gorgeous work, you will learn how to dance with your glass in delightful ways.
This live online class includes:
- A valuable (68-page!) class guide packed with detailed project instructions, firing schedules, helpful tips, and inspiring insights
- Long-term access to Delicate Disco with Amanda Simmons, a long-format instructional video (4.5+ hours) that you can watch anywhere, any time
- Four sessions for learning in real time over Zoom with Amanda Simmons (That's 15 hours of live instruction time)
The class will happen over four sessions:
- The first three sessions are Video Watch Parties, during which Amanda will teach three unique powder application and mark making techniques, providing instruction from sample creation through completion of a large finished vessel. Each week will build on the techniques learned previously, allowing students to build confidence while developing their own marks, voice, and designs.
- Weeks two and three will start with project sharing and discussion of student work made during the preceding week. Amanda will review and answer questions concerning work submitted. The class will then launch into the week's Watch Party and upcoming project lessons.
- During the fourth session, the class will share large scale pieces and discuss remaining questions and insights.
We believe this entire package is an exceptional way to learn! It’s an opportunity to get a thorough, step-by-step understanding of how to work in three eye-catching techniques. So get ready to join Amanda Simmons for an enriching and impactful learning experience. You'll get to share your work, to inspire and be inspired, and to take your home studio to wonderful new dimensions.
- We will be using Zoom for the live class sessions. For optimal streaming, Zoom recommends using their desktop program or mobile app. (Only use their web service if you cannot access the other options.) In addition, we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer with all the following: high-speed internet, a webcam, a microphone, and speakers. A tablet may suffice. Phones, however, should be avoided. Smartphone screens will be too small, and a landline phone will not allow for any interactivity.
- For additional help navigating Zoom, watch our Zoom orientation video.
- Prerequisites: All welcome! Basic kilnforming skills will be helpful.
Materials and ToolsYou can preview the class Materials List to get a general sense of the supplies you'll need to participate.